2009-07-10

Levon Helm

Levon Helm

Best of Blogs

TiVo Party Tonight: Levon Helm
Levon Helm, drummer and singer for the Band, will be on Letterman tonight playing a song from his latest album, Electric Dirt, released June 30. The Levon Helm Band begins a nationwide tour next week. This entry was posted in TIVO PARTY ...
Japandroids, Levon Helm release new albums
We used to dream, the Japandroids repeatedly sing, feeling their youth slipping away in Young Hearts Spark Fire. Now we worry about dying / I don't.
Levon Helm - When I Go Away - New Single Review | New Music Reviews
Levon Helm - When I Go Away - At first I was kinda like 'What is going on with this track?' It almost sounds like gospel mixed with country. After a few.
Hear Levon Helm Return to Real Rock With тАЬTennessee JedтАЭ : Rolling ...
Up to the minute breaking news from the world of music, from the editors of Rolling Stone.
Direct Current - Music News / New Music - Levon Helm - Electric Dirt
Former Band member and all-around swell guy Levon Helm delivers the sequel to 2007's Grammy-winning album Dirt Farmer, which was an exceptional collection of rootsy rock and folk that reestablished Helm as one of America's premier ...
CD Review: Levon Helm, тАЬElectric DirtтАЭ | Popdose
In the late 1990s, Levon Helm was diagnosed with throat cancer. The radiation treatments reduced his once powerful voice to a mere rasp. Unable to make any.
Electric Dirt - Levon Helm - Buy @ SmokeCDs.com music cd store
Electric Dirt - Levon Helm - Buy @ SmokeCDs.com music cd store SmokeCDs.com Online Music Store - the best music releases, weekly reviews by experts, mp3 samples, DVDs and merchandise. Our New Zealand music selection is second to none, ...
Levon Helm - Electric Dirt | BUZZGRINDER
I was expecting a lot from Levon Helm, what with brandishing a phenomenal album (Dirt Farmer) after ending his 25-year recording hiatus and all. So when I heard.
Album review: Levon Helm's 'Electric Dirt' | Turn It Up - A guided ...
a guided tour through the worlds of pop, rock and rap.

Popular questions

Have you ever teared up during a concert?
I asked this question in the Rock and Pop section, but figured I would ask it here as well since the songs I'm inquiring about have obvious country influences in them. I'm making a video for my family. A part of the video is going to be dedicated to my grandpa, who died this year. The video is just going to be pictures set to music. I've narrowed it down to either Wide River To Cross by Levon Helm or Porchlight by William Elliott Whitmore. Now, both songs remind me of him. But Porchlight reminds me of him most. It fits him EXACTLY. It's unbelievable...like the dude wrote the song just for him. The only thing that is keeping me from using that song is Whitmore's voice. While I love it, others may not. His voice is...unique. What do you think? Which song should I use? Porchlight by Will Whitmore (only a 30 second sample because I can't find the full track on the net...but you'll get the idea...it's the last track): http://music.aol.com/album/ashes-to-dust/799750 or Wide River To Cross by Levon Helm: http://www.last.fm/music/Levon+Helm/Dirt+Farmer/Wide+River+To+Cross My mother says that since I am making the video that I should use whatever song I want. But, I want to make everybody happy. So, opinions? Thank you!
Which song should I use out of these two?
I'm making a video for my family. A part of the video is going to be dedicated to my grandpa, who died this year. The video is just going to be pictures set to music. I've narrowed it down to either Wide River To Cross by Levon Helm or Porchlight by William Elliott Whitmore. Now, both songs remind me of him. But Porchlight reminds me of him most. It fits him EXACTLY. It's unbelievable...like the dude wrote the song just for him. The only thing that is keeping me from using that song is Whitmore's voice. While I love it, others may not. His voice is...unique. What do you think? Which song should I use? Porchlight by Will Whitmore (only a 30 second sample because I can't find the full track on the net...but you'll get the idea): http://music.aol.com/album/ashes-to-dust/799750 or Wide River To Cross by Levon Helm: http://www.last.fm/music/Levon+Helm/Dirt+Farmer/Wide+River+To+Cross My mother says that since I am making the video that I should use whatever song I want. But, I want to make everybody happy. So, opinions? Oh, I forgot to say thanks for the answers/help! So...thanks!Thanks Beatles Girl...though I love that song, it doesn't fit my papaw at all.
Which song should I use?
I'm making a video for my family. It's just a bunch of pictures set to music. I think I've picked my songs and the order in which I want them played...I tried to fix them so they'll flow together nicely. Peace Train by Cat Stevens Here Comes The Sun by the Beatles Into The Mystic by Van Morrison Stand By Me by John Lennon A Higher Place by Tom Petty By Your Side by the Black Crowes Wide River To Cross by Levon Helm (this one is going to be set to pictures of my grandpa, who died this year...it's a tribute to him) What do you think? Do you think the songs go okay together? Any other suggestions for songs? Are they a bit cheesy since they're all about peace, love and standing together? Or, in this case, is cheesy good? lol, there's a lot of questions there... Thanks!
R&P: How does this sound?
In your opinion
Better drummer: Levon Helm or Mitch Mitchell?
I saw a question on here where the asker gave a list composed of what they thought were the best 100 bands. I decided to make my own list. It was harder than I thought it would be, as people/bands ended up further down on the list than they should be (but I couldn't bump the ones that were higher up) or they got left off and shouldn't have been. I now have a new respect for those people who make "top blah blah blah" lists. If you're wondering, here's my list: 1. Bob Dylan 2. Waylon Jennings 3. The Rolling Stones 4. Pink Floyd 5. Leonard Cohen 6. Tom Waits 7. Neil Young 8. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 9. Grateful Dead 10. Led Zeppelin 11. John Lennon 12. Gram Parsons 13. Janis Joplin 14. The Beatles 15. Otis Redding 16. David Bowie 17. The Velvet Underground 18. Black Sabbath 19. The Who 20. The Band 21. Alice In Chains 22. The Black Crowes 23. William Elliott Whitmore 24. Creedence Clearwater Revival 25. Warren Zevon 26. Van Morrison 27. T. Rex 28. Simon and Garfunkel 29. Nick Drake 30. Buddy Guy 31. The Allman Brothers Band 32. Love and Rockets 33. The Kinks 34. Jimi Henrix Experience 35. Kris Kristofferson 36. Iggy/the Stooges 37. Jackson Browne 38. Emmylou Harris 39. Fairport Convention 40. Elvis Presley 41. Drive-By Truckers 42. The Clash 43. The Doors 44. Muddy Waters 45. Zakk Wylde related projects. 46. AC/DC 47. Bert Jansch 48. George Jones 49. Billie Holiday 50. Pentangle 51. Sam Cooke 52. 13th Floor Elevators 53. Levon Helm 54. The Replacements 55. Wishbone Ash 56. Traffic 57. Wire 58. Television 59. Sam Bush 60. King Crimson 61. Jethro Tull 62. Porcupine Tree 63. Badfinger 64. Elton John 65. Bo Diddley 66. Chuck Berry 67. Bob Marley 68. Crosby, Stills and Nash (and Young) 69. Donovan 70. Cat Stevens 71. J.J. Cale 72. Hoodoo Gurus 73. John Cale 74. The Pogues 75. Robert Johnson 76. Iron Maiden 77. Johnny Cash 78. Billy Joe Shaver 79. Dave Van Ronk 80. The Byrds 81. Van Der Graaf Generator 82. Ten Years After 83. The Sonics 84. Nine Inch Nails 85. The Smiths 86. Captain Beefheart 87. Frank Zappa 88. Chris Whitley 89. Deep Purple 90. Blue Oyster Cult 91. Judas Priest 92. Elvis Costello 93. Hanks Williams Sr. 94. Guns N' Roses 95. Jerry Jeff Walker 96. Joy Division 97. Lucinda Williams 98. My Morning Jacket 99. Nick Cave 100. The Temptations I don't necessarily think all of these artists are the greatest ever, but they're my favorites...
Can you come up with a list of your 100 favorite bands?
For me, the Levon Helm concert this past Wednesday takes the cake...and the fork, the plate, the table it's setting on and, well, I think you get the idea. Guest appearances included: Little Sammy Davis Robert Plant Sam Bush Buddy Miller John Hiatt Alison Krauss Sheryl Crowe Steve Earle Billy Bob Thorton Delbert McClinton Allison Moorer Billy Bob introduced the band and then, later on, came out and sang a song. Who knew he could sing? He wasn't great, but not nearly as bad as I expected. This show was INCREDIBLE. Though I'm not really a fan of Sheryl Crowe or Alison Krauss (never even heard of Allison Moorer), I love all the others...and, of course, Levon was great :-) And, incase anyone is unsure of who Levon is, he's the singer/drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38JpAMG65Dg It was also recorded for TV and DVD. shew...I've still got a high from it.
Who wins the award for "best guest appearance" at a concert you have been at?
My mom loves Avenged Sevenfold because I turned her on to them!! I love you mom! My dad likes Dave Bromberg and Levon Helm. They aren't my cup of tea, but he also likes Green Day and A7X so it's all good. hahaa. What do YOUR parents listen to??Rachael, I did answer your question.I love pie and hair gel and clean shaven men!
What kind of music do your parents like?
I just found out that Levon Helm is playing in Nashville in September. I've wanted to see him for the longest time! I'm so happy right now :-) Do you like Levon? What did you think of his latest album, Dirt Farmer? If you don't really know much about his solo career, then what are your favorite songs from the Band?
Do you like The Band?
Recent as in 2000-now. My personal top 5: Highway Companion by Tom Petty Love and Theft by Bob Dylan Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm Living With War by Neil Young The Road To Escondido by J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton

No comments:

Post a Comment